Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The happy gardener

Well, things at work are finally starting to get managable. I mean, at least I'm not in a panic the entire day, and I don't feel like I'm drowning.

Drowning... I know what it feels like, really. Flashback five years. When I learned how to scuba dive, I had a horrible time with this particular skill where you have to fill up your mask with water and then clear it out. I'd feel the water under my nose and immediately sniff, and then I'd think I was drowning. So the first time I had to do that skill in the ocean, I was sitting on the ocean floor, I took in a little water, and I immediately tried to bolt to the surface to keep from drowning (which I wasn't really). Only you can't just pop up from the bottom when you're diving, or you get the bends (nitrogen bubbles caught in the bloodstream - very bad). So my dive instructor, Carlos, was trying to hold me down, even though I was trying to get away. He was a great instructor, because despite me trying to beat him off and pummelling him with my fists, he still didn't let me swim up too fast. By the time I finally got to the surface, I was exhausted and couldn't swim or function any more, so Carlos had to tow me back to the shore. How in the HELL did I ever learn how to dive and actually get my license?!

Anyway, I haven't been drowning in work as much this week, so I've been able to relax at night, do things I like, and not just immediately fall asleep after dinner. My favorite thing to do at night after dinner? Drink a beer, sit in the garden, pull weeds and prune stuff. Very zen. Here I am in the garden...

No comments: